We were nominated for the Unique Blogger Award by manga fan, shaddowcat99, over at Exploring the World of Anime and Manga! You get brownie points for nominating us for our first award of the year =P Thanks for the nomination and for your friendly, conversational comments on our posts!
The Rules (copy pasted)
Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you.
Answer questions they’ve written for you.
In the spirit of sharing love and solidarity with our blogging family, nominate other bloggers and ask them 3 questions.
The three questions we were asked are:
If you could strike anything from existence; person, place or thing, what would it be?
Kathleen: The Cheetoh in Chief, Donald Trump. Hands down. (No picture for him. His stupid face has no place on our blog!!!)
Nancy: I stand in solidarity with Kathleen. Trump’s presidency is a disgrace.
What’s is the funniest new years resolution you have ever heard?
Kathleen: At first I thought my mom and her boyfriend’s resolution last year was funny. They went on a low-carb diet together. But it turned out to not be a joke. They’re a year on it and still going, which is great for them, but I have to buy my own buns whenever we make burgers!!! 😭
Nancy: This For Better Or For Worse comic is honest in how many people actually follow through on their resolutions. Despite that, I made my own 2018 goals.
Who was your biggest hero growing up, not now unless it hasn’t changed, but when you were a kid?
Kathleen: I adored the Pink Power Ranger (Mighty Morphin all the way) when I was a kid. She was so cool!!! She kicked butt just like the boys did. I would often pretend that I was her and beat the crap out of my mom’s furniture with my awesome karate moves X,D
Nancy: Luke Skywalker! That’s why how The Last Jedi treated him is so painful to me. But that’s a post for another day!
Our questions for our nominees:
Do you remember your dreams when you wake up?
Do you listen to the radio? What kind of stations do you like? And what song makes you turn it off immediately?
Describe your best friend. Why are you friends with him/her?
We were nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award by Lily from Cheeky Booky! This is our third time for this award, but it never gets old, for we love getting selected since it means another blogger thought of us!
Thank the person who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog
Answer the 11 questions sent by the person who nominated you
Nominate new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions
List the rules and display the sunshine blogger award logo in your post and/or on your blog
1. Which Disney Princess do you relate yourself with?
Nancy: Mulan!!! It’s a rare Disney movie in which BOTH her parents are still alive, plus Mulan is kick -ass. The romance at the end is secondary, because while I am a sucker for romance, Mulan and her team prioritize saving that day before that happens.
Kathleen: Jasmine! She is smart, headstrong, and independent, but she is also loving and a good judge of character. She’s not passive at all and takes charge of who she is, where she’s going, and who she loves. She refuses to conform to others’ expectations or plans for her, and I both admire and strive to be like her.
2. What would the world be like if you are the leader? (Be as detailed as you like)
Nancy: World peace and a beautiful environment!
Kathleen: First thing I would do as world leader would be cure all nut allergies (seriously, it sucks)! I would strive to lead a peaceful, humane, and just world.
3. Top 5 Pairings?
Nancy: Me & my husband, Eleanor/Park, Superman/Wonder Woman (ignore what Kathleen says below for the Kingdom Come pairing was perfect!), Jamie/Claire from Outlander andEhd/Beh from Transcendence (the most ridiculous historical fiction romance book ever that I inexplicably loved).
4. What animal is your patronus? ( Mine is a Dolphin according to Pottermore XD)
Nancy: Wolf. I love their beauty and teamwork.
Kathleen: I think mine was a terrier according to Pottermore, but I secretly feel it would be a snow leopard instead.
5. OH NO! Eric Cartman came and stole your favourite desert. What’s your favourite desert and how would you deal with it? (Yes I am a huge South Park Fan) XD
Nancy: I am a sucker for dark chocolate so Cartman wouldn’t even stand a chance of getting near it in the first place.
Kathleen: My favorite dessert is homemade chocolate cake… with 3 layers and chocolate frosting, just how my mom makes it. Consequently, I would have no qualms about punching Eric Cartman out over it 8D
6. What would you do if you won a huge jackpot from the lottery?
Nancy: Fund my children’s college educations and donate to charity. Then take some epic vacations!
Plus, I also want to nominate our blog again, so Kathleen gets a turn to write! Her post: Liebster Award #2
** I picked a variety of blogs, not all are about graphic novels. I try to have a balanced life with other interests!
Here are the 11 questions I am bound to answer:
1) What is one of your earliest/happiest book-related (be it comic or otherwise) memories? I love old-school books. My Mom read with me a lot, and my favorite books as a child were Jenny and the Cat Club by Esther Averill, The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton, Slowpoke st the Circus by Ruth Ruhman and the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
2) Is there an author you’ve found whose work resonates deeply with you? Why do you connect so with what they have to say? I adore Rainbow Rowell, especially her book Eleanor & Park. I connect with every book RR has written, some more than others. RR really captures feelings and relationships, and every time I read one of her books I think, “Me too!” at some point.
3) What is the point of literature (again, comic and/or otherwise) in your life? What do you get from reading? I am a Teen Librarian- so reading is my life. As the wise Dr. Seuss states, “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go!”
4) Why is your blog focused on the topics you’ve chosen? If you can write about anything, why this? Kathleen and I met at Dominican University in a class we were both taking for our Masters Degree in Library Science. We paired up for a project about graphic novels in YA literature, since we were both big fans of that genre. Kathleen created a fake blog to go along with our project, and we wrote reviews of some books. We aced the project, and afterwards we decided to turn the fake blog into a real one since we both had fun writing the reviews. The rest is history!
5) Do you hold yourself to any sort of schedule as a writer (for example, you must write a little every day or do a post every week) or do you just write when you feel so moved? Why is this your chosen path? At first Kathleen posted on Mondays and me on Fridays and that was it. Then she suggested we do a Wednesday post of subjects that interested us in the “geek world” so we could branch off and not just write reviews. We alternate Wednesdays. This schedule works for us, and despite us both having crazy schedules- work, family, school- we keep up our posts. I like having a schedule, it keeps me organized, and on task.
6) What role do you think illustrations play (as always, speaking in regard to comic books specifically or other forms of literature as well) in telling a story? Illustrations can make or break a book. It enriches the narrative and can promote literacy for a wide range of readers!
7) Name one story (however you’d like to define that term) that’s been important to your life and discuss why. I was introduced to ElfQuest by my HS boyfriend who is now my husband, and collecting the series (still going strong) has run throughout our whole relationship. See my EQ review as to why I love it so much ♥
8) Name one character you’ve encountered that’s been particularly important to you and discuss why. Eleanor from Eleanor & Park because I connected with her character on so many levels!
9) I’ve always felt that writing is important. But, given the many, many options for sharing your thoughts and opinions in the Internet age, why do you write as opposed to vlogging or simply tweeting or sharing music or any of the other options out there? My answer to question #4 pretty much determined that a blog was the way we would share our reviews. I enjoy writing (I love to review on Goodreads) but this was a specific way to reach a target audience.
10) Has there been anything challenging about blogging since you’ve started writing for an online audience? Although keeping to a schedule is helpful, there are weeks I am swamped with LIFE. Sometimes reading a graphic novel a week prevents me from reading other books, and I wish I had more time for other genres.
11) Lastly, what have you found to be the most rewarding part of blogging since you began your writing venture? The INTERACTION with other bloggers! I am the nerdiest of my friends, so at times I didn’t have someone to properly geek out with. Now I have found my tribe!
Now here are my questions for my nominees:
1) What is your favorite book or series?
2) What are you thankful for?
3) What is your favorite place to visit?
4) Why is your blog focused on the topics you’ve chosen? If you can write about anything, why this?
5) Do you hold yourself to any sort of schedule as a writer (for example, you must write a little every day or do a post every week) or do you just write when you feel so moved? Why is this your chosen path?
6) What would you like to learn how to do?
7) What do you want people to remember about you?
8) What is the reason behind the name of your blog?
9) Which post on your blog would you like to have gotten more readership?
10) Has there been anything challenging about blogging since you’ve started writing for an online audience?
11) Lastly, what have you found to be the most rewarding part of blogging since you began your writing venture?
Thank you again to Michael from My Comic Relief for your support. Your blog is so awesome, well written and funny! Kathleen and I were so excited to receive this shout out! I hope all of my nominees are as excited as I was when I found out that we had been nominated.